Search This Blog

Saturday 24 March 2012

Reconnect with Nature - A Vacation from Electronics

Cell phones, iPads, microwaves, cameras, the Internet, WiFi, watches, alarm clocks, television, washing machines, laptops and other electronics interfere with our body's natural cycles.

Ask yourself. When is the last time I took a vacation? Not a retreat towards the sun. A real vacation, living without electronics or unnatural influence.

The ancient writings of Hatha Yoga describe Shat Karma, or bodily purification. There are six basic practises (of Kriyas) which include

1. Neti - Irrigation of the Nasal Passages/Sinus


2. Dhauti & 3. Basti - Cleaning the digestive tract through Colonic, Enema, Tongue Scraping etc




4. Nauli - Breathing Exercise to Manipulate the Abdominals

5. Kapalabhati - Breathing Exercise of rapid, abdominal (diaphragmatic) breath.


6. Tratak - Cleaning of the tear ducts / Candle Meditation





What the ancient Yogis missed (due to the fact that in ancient India there were no cell phone) is a 7th form of Purification - Cleansing from Electronics.

Recently, I went cell-phone-less for a month. It was amazing because life went on. If I needed to make plans, I did so in advance using the Internet. If making plans in advance did not work then I defaulted to option:

b) pay phone
c) using someone elses phone
d) leaving all meetings to chance. 

To many of my friends, not having a cell phone required an apology. But it was an amazing experience. One I invite all of you to try. Start by putting your phone away at nighttime, then for an entire evening, then an entire day.

You will be amazed at how much more PRESENT you feel.

Small steps like this are how to start a lifestyle that includes Shatkarma or bodily purification.

Step 1: Since some of the Yoga Shatkarma practises are advanced, I do not recommend trying them.
As always, do some research and talk to your Yoga Teacher for guidance.

Step 2: Otherwise, dive in and experiment. Depending on your lifestyle and environment some of these activities will serve you better than others. For example, if you are sensitive and live in a polluted city (or even a dusty apartment) try cleaning your nasal passage/sinus once a week. The result is delightful.

Step 3: Treat yourself to a colonic irrigation. Through talking to friends or referencing a directory find a professional colon hydrotherapist in your city.

He or she will provide a safe, clean, and informative environment to learn how to take water into your colon. 

Step 4: Laugh

Step 5: Once you are comfortable with the notion of cleaning your colon, go buy an Enema and use it.

By cleansing the body we improve our health and create a lightness. One day you may find yourself living more simplistically.

Recently, I took my practise to the next level and went totally natural for 7 days: No makeup, no suitcase/closet of clothes, no watch, no phone, no Internet, no camera, and no commitments. If I was tired I slept. If I needed to cry, I cried. If something was interesting, I went for a look.



What happened during these 7 days was amazing. I reconnected with nature and reconnected with my body's natural cycles. At certain points it was as if I was hearing things and seeing things for the first time. My surroundings became sensational. A natural high.

Even better. The quality of sleep I experienced was the deepest, most tranquil and invigorating sleep of my life. During the night on a few occasions I had dreams - vivid ones - where I revisited troubling and stressful events. During the dream there was dialogue and observation and a letting go. I often woke up crying. But it was as if I was crying to say goodbye. I know that certain things that once haunted me, will no longer affect me. Countless weight and stale emotion has left my being.

In my opinion, this is a REAL vacation. This is how you decompress from city living and re-charge your battery. By going without electronics and living moment-to-moment one can re-set for real life. Because real life includes public transit, arguments, annoyances, relationship drama, alarm clocks, and computers. Real life is hard.

So, as you plan your next vacation, your next day off, or start a lifestyle that involves Shat Karma (Yoga bodily purification). Try the 7th Practise: Vacation from Electronics. You may really like what you discover.











No comments:

Post a Comment